The heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system provides proper ventilation by the current weather conditions. It plays a significant role in your home, so it stands to reason that you must take care of it well.
Even if you put great effort into taking care of your HVAC system, it will always run into problems after some time, which is why you should always take note of signs that your air ducts need to be cleaned.
So, what are these signs? We listed them all down for you. Read on below to learn more.
What Enters Your HVAC System
The primary signs to look out for are particles that can be seen in your HVAC vents, such as dust, hair, and even fur. Aside from that, dust coating may even form on the grill.
Fine dust collects on air duct surfaces, vents, motors, and coils inside an HVAC system. If you have any pets, they may also contribute to the buildup of particles. Their hair and dander may also enter the vents as well.
If the buildup continues, it may invite worse things such as bacteria, allergens, and dust mites. These can cause sickness, which is why cleaning should be done.
Indicators of a Dirty Air Duct
If you wish to conduct a full inspection of your air duct, consider the following steps:
- Open at least one of your vent covers and take a look inside. See if there’s any dirt, dust, or debris.
- Examine the return air registers for dust buildup, especially if there are thick and fuzzy coatings of dust.
- Carefully remove the air filter and see if it is filled with or clogged with dust. If so, keep in mind that this is what obstructs the airflow. If not cleaned as soon as possible, more dust will follow.
- Open the furnace compartment. Examine the blower fan and motor if there are any signs of dust. Aside from that, do the same thing for the furnace controls.
- Take a look at the air conditioning coil. In some HVAC systems, a panel needs to be removed first. If the coil is dusty or has dust clinging to the housing walls, the air filter isn’t working correctly, and it needs to be cleaned.
The Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
While it’s alright not to have your air ducts cleaned for an extended period, make sure not to wait too long. The ideal time that you should have your air ducts cleaned is every 3 to 5 years.
If you clean your air ducts routinely, you can prevent many health and maintenance problems before they even start. Other benefits include:
- Better performance from your HVAC system
- Lesser need for extensive and costly repairs
- Energy efficiency, which reduces utility bills
- Lower chances of allergies and other respiratory problems
Cleaning Your Air Ducts
Air duct cleaning, no matter how proficient you may be, is not a DIY project. Your air ducts can only be cleaned thoroughly with the use of industry-standard equipment. Simply put, you will need to hire a professional service.
Cubic feet per minute (CFM) measure suction power when it comes to air duct cleaning equipment. Granted, there is some pretty accessible cleaning equipment, but most of them are only measured at 250 CFM. This means that these types of equipment lack the suction power to clean out everything that’s giving you trouble in your air ducts.
On the other hand, cleaning systems mounted in trailers or vans can do well for tiny houses because they’re measured at 400 to 1,000 CFM. While effective for smaller homes, they won’t work for bigger ones because they still lack the suction power.
Anyone’s best chance of cleaning their air ducts at home is hiring a professional service that uses the truck-mounted systems. These cleaning systems have a suction power of 16,000 CFM, which is more than enough for any home. It completely eradicates any buildup of dust, dirt, and debris from your air ducts.
Cleaning your air ducts at home is a necessary measure to ensure that your home is adequately ventilated. If your air ducts are cleaned, you will notice positive results, significantly improving your home’s ventilation and eradicating airborne contaminants.
Can Do Duct Cleaning provides some of the best duct cleaning services in Brampton. If your home’s HVAC system seems to be giving up on you, it just needs cleaning. Contact us today and allow us to help you!