5 Warning Signs of Clogged Vents. If you own a dryer, you know what a wonderful convenience it can be. While it may do wonders during laundry day, did you know that there is also the potential for danger and fire? Clogged dryer ducts and vents have been responsible for many house fires across the country, including cases with fatalities.
In some cases, homeowners have noticed increased temperatures from their dryers before realizing the cause of the thermal spike. This is symptomatic of clogged vents causing noxious fumes as heat was unable to escape as effectively as it should have been. Eventually, burning clothing and lint ignited by the hot surfaces inside of the dryer led to house fires.
Although dryer vent fires may seem unlikely, they aren’t impossible. For this reason, you need to know how to properly care for your appliances and their potential dangers. Don’t let a preventable house fire happen to you; here are warning signs of clogged dryer vents you need to know about:
- Slow or Inefficient Airflow: If you notice that the airflow from your vents is weak or not as strong as it used to be, it could be a sign that your vents are clogged. This is because the blockage is restricting the flow of air through your ducts, making it harder for the air to reach your rooms.
- Unpleasant Odors: If there are foul odors coming from your vents, it could be a sign of a blockage. When dirt, dust, and debris accumulate in your ducts, they can create a musty or stale smell that is unpleasant.
- Increased Energy Bills: If you notice a sudden spike in your energy bills without any significant changes to your home’s energy usage, it could be due to clogged vents. When your HVAC system has to work harder to push air through your vents, it uses more energy, which can lead to higher bills.
- Dust and Debris Around the Vents: If you notice an accumulation of dust and debris around your vents, it is likely that they are clogged. As air struggles to push through the blockage, it can cause particles to build up on the grates.
- Uneven Heating or Cooling: If you notice that some rooms in your home are colder or hotter than others, it could be a sign of clogged vents. As air struggles to make it through the blockage, it can create areas where the airflow is weaker, resulting in uneven temperatures throughout your home.
1. Clothes Take Longer than Usual to Dry
Do you notice your clothes take longer than usual to dry? If this happens, there could be a clog in the vent. This is because a clog can prevent hot air from escaping the dryer. In turn, this prolongs the drying time and leaves the clothes wet at the end of each cycle.
2. Burning Smell
Lint and other fabric left in your dryer are highly flammable. Therefore, this doesn’t take much heat to ignite a small piece. So, if you smell something burning when you’re using your dryer, turn it off immediately and have a technician fix it.
3. Clothes are Hot to Touch
Dry clothes from a dryer that’s in good condition shouldn’t be hot to touch. Sure, they may feel a bit warm, but if it’s reaching burning temperatures, it’s likely the vents are clogged. This means hot air is trapped and accumulating inside your vents, which can be a risk for house fires.
4. Visible Lint or Debris in the Dryer Hose
Lint and debris will always find their way in your clothes, no matter how careful you are in inspecting them. When there’s a build-up of lint or debris in the dryer hose or around the outside dryer flap, it’s time to get the ducts cleaned. Otherwise, they can clog the vents.
5. Uncleaned Vents
If you haven’t cleaned your vents for some time, now is the time to do so. Over time, your vents can accumulate dust, debris, and other forms of blockages that can harm your utilities. For this reason, Vents must be cleaned at least once a year.
The Dangers of Clogged Vents
As mentioned, there are dangers that come with clogged vents. Five percent of house fires come from laundry rooms, and some of them are due to a dryer vent. Even before causing dangerous accidents, you will also experience higher bills when you have clogged dryer vents. The extra high costs are due to overheating and ineffective dryers.
Fix Your Dryer’s Clogged Vents Today
When your vents begin to clog then there are definite red flags that you need to pay attention to. If you’re not familiar with these danger signs or warning signals, you’re playing with the safety of your household. Clogged vent pipes and dryers can be dangerous as they put your home and family at risk. That’s why if you notice any of these warning signs, it’s essential to contact a professional immediately.
Can Do Duct Cleaning provides the best duct cleaning services in Brampton. We have a team of professionals who use high-quality equipment to resolve clogged vents in your dryer. If you need to receive quality dryer vent cleaning in Mississauga, contact us today!